kurt's nightmare

Generally, I post once a week. Topics are randomly selected and depend mostly upon whether it's baseball season or not. Other topics will include sex, politics, old girlfriends, music, and whatever else pops into my little brain. If you'd like to read, or ignore, my blog about China: http://meidabizi.blogspot.com/

Name:
Location: Dayton, OH, Heard & McDonald Islands

I'm an Associate Professor of Philosophy at the University of Dayton. I represent no one but myself, and barely do that. I'm here mostly by accident.

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Hiatus

Both of my readers--call them A & K, the "glimmer twins" [okay, and one other "wahine"]--will, perhaps, be annoyed, but I've decided I should be writing for publication, rather than the omphaloskeptical drooling of the blog. So I'm going on hiatus for awhile, possibly forever. Who knows?

Here's what I'm working on:

A commentary on Kant's Critique of Pure Reason, B422 n. (Yes, a whole commentary on one footnote. But it is one helluva footnote. I was going to do this as my dissertation; William "Baby Needs a New Pair of Shoes" Bennett happened to be on campus when I was in grad school, and complained about "scholars" doing such exegesis as writing whole dissertations on single footnotes. This really made me want to do it, but I resisted.)

A paper on Kant and Nietzsche; I have an earlier paper suggesting Nietzsche was confused about Kant. His real complaint should have been about necessity, not about the Thing In Itself (blame Schopenhauer?) So I'm writing the second half, and then hope to put them both together in one longer paper. Three papers for the price of one.

A paper on naturalism and necessity, growing out of my recent seminar "Necessity and Contingency." I don't think one can follow the naturalist program "all the way down," due to a certain conception of logic. This is where--I think--Kant meets Davidson meets Habermas meets early Wittgenstein, and all reject (in some way or other) Quine. Good stuff, but it makes my head hurt.

I also want to do a "popular" piece (possibly for the Chronicle of Higher Education?) on a strategy I use in class, getting students to go find folks on the Internet to argue with. I've got two publications out of it so far (and eschewed a free trip to Australia); I'd like to thank AnnCoulter.com for helping make it all possible.

I also plan on writing a history--oral history, so somebody else actually does the work--of the Dayton area bluegrass scene. Eventually, I'd like to explore this in a more complete context of race, class and labor history, but I only have one lifetime.

Finally, I've been planning for years to write a three volume "academic" novel: vol.1: from graduating college to getting to grad school; vol. 2: grad school; vol. 3: the tortuous passage from PhD to gainful (and relatively permanent) employment. Along the way, there is a lot of sex, the occasional "hit piece" on former professors, and just more angst than you can shake a stick at.

In short, there is a lot of stuff to do. And blogging probably isn't the best way to do it. So I bid my 346, 923 readers adieu. Look Back in August (not Anger) to see if I changed my mind. It happens.

4 Comments:

Blogger Bazarov said...

Good luck and farewell.

3:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think. Sometimes. That. That this is a good idea. That this is a great, lovely, fantastic idea because THAT gives you much more time to write THAT noveeele THAT I'd love to read. I am also thinking tttttthat I'd like to read about Australia. That would be nice. Not that Hawaii wouldn't be better, that it would. Or Nepal. But this is all very good indeed because that novel sounds fun. And that is the end. So. I write to you in a way that is so long and so repetitive redundant that I annoy the shit out of you and THAT is my goal. That said, I will mail copies of my former suppossedlylllly that philosphy minded paper written for the man and show you that really I had no such run ons ever or improper grammar or THATS at the beginning of my sentences and mostly I have lots of RED and you should read about red on my latest blog on myspace and when you need a copy editor ofr that novelll of oyuurs I'll be hapy to get my red pins out. Much love and fun to you and yours for summer. Do have some fun my friend. I am inclined to believe you are a fantastic Father and Husband. I should see you in the fall. Ark Lady I was just trying to get your goat in the past. You passed. No response. You are intelligencio, do not farewell, begin your own blog. I will come...Now THAT I HAVE NOTHING ELSE TO DO, i am going to work out. my body will hurt instead of my head, from being here ! TA whahine

2:39 PM  
Blogger Akrasia said...

I also want to do a "popular" piece (possibly for the Chronicle of Higher Education?) on a strategy I use in class, getting students to go find folks on the Internet to argue with. I've got two publications out of it so far (and eschewed a free trip to Australia); I'd like to thank AnnCoulter.com for helping make it all possible.

This looks like an interesting idea. What are the publications on this?

10:16 AM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

new balance, hollister uk, timberland pas cher, nike blazer pas cher, kate spade, hollister pas cher, burberry pas cher, michael kors, polo ralph lauren, nike air max uk, nike free uk, nike roshe run uk, sac vanessa bruno, oakley pas cher, guess pas cher, replica handbags, michael kors pas cher, abercrombie and fitch uk, true religion outlet, north face uk, vans pas cher, true religion outlet, north face, air max, coach outlet, true religion outlet, sac hermes, mulberry uk, ray ban uk, michael kors, sac longchamp pas cher, nike air force, michael kors outlet, louboutin pas cher, hogan outlet, nike roshe, polo lacoste, lululemon canada, jordan pas cher, true religion jeans, nike air max uk, longchamp pas cher, coach outlet store online, converse pas cher, coach purses, nike air max, ray ban pas cher, ralph lauren uk, nike free run, nike tn

1:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home