kurt's nightmare

Generally, I post once a week. Topics are randomly selected and depend mostly upon whether it's baseball season or not. Other topics will include sex, politics, old girlfriends, music, and whatever else pops into my little brain. If you'd like to read, or ignore, my blog about China: http://meidabizi.blogspot.com/

Name:
Location: Dayton, OH, Heard & McDonald Islands

I'm an Associate Professor of Philosophy at the University of Dayton. I represent no one but myself, and barely do that. I'm here mostly by accident.

Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Champs






A short one, for once. (And my thanks to Frodo for sending me the second pic.)

The college basketball season is over, quite possibly the most exhilarating I've ever experienced. For us Kansas fans, winning over UNC was kind of sweet. Winning over Memphis exceeded all expectations. A great game to watch, and, for me at least, a great outcome.

Kansas has as rich a basketball tradition as any school in the country. As some are already tired of hearing, the only coach in KU history with a losing record is James Naismith, who invented the game. Great fans, great building, great tradition, great teams. Oddly enough, my favorite player (among many candidates) is the virtually unknown and unremembered Delby Lewis. When I was pretty young, he always brought the ball up court to start the offense. For some reason, that image sticks with me, and that was when I began to love KU basketball.

It will be difficult for Bill Self to turn down Oklahoma State. I would think it would be hard for anyone to turn down $40 million. OSU will never be as cool as KU, but the cost-benefit analysis in weighing cool vs. $40 million is tricky. If he leaves, I think he will be making a mistake, but that much money can soften many an error. But one thing is quite clear: Lawrence is a great town. Stillwater is not.

Of course, Mario Chalmers's shot was the talk of today, as it should be. Given the history of Kansas basketball, it is amazing to me that his 3 pointer is almost without doubt the single biggest shot in the history of KU basketball.

Great season. Thanks. Go Hawks!

****

And now for something completely different. I was listening to "Morning Edition" yesterday, and in the story about the Texas polygamist compound, the announcer said something that made me realize, once again, the difference between reading the news and hearing someone else read it to you. Say this one out loud, and you'll see what I mean.

Officers met some resistance when they entered the sect's temple.





6 Comments:

Blogger Bazarov said...

I fail to see what you mean when reading silently and saying out loud. I am rather dense at times though. Could you give me the two or more ways it could be understood?

10:07 AM  
Blogger kmosser said...

You don't think "sect's" might be confused with another word?

You need to get out more.

10:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Was it a forced penetration to the sects temple?
Or was a mutual consent?

Did the announcer read it with a deep throaty voice or soft and silky?

Inquiring minds need to know?

Cajundude

12:59 PM  
Blogger Bazarov said...

Ahh...I guess my brain was biased by having read it first. At least, that's the story I'm goin' with. I probably should get out more, but then I wouldn't be the troglodyte I am.

4:30 PM  
Blogger mmjiaxin said...

michael kors handbags clearance
michael kors factory outlet
yeezy boost 350
longchamp uk
adidas nmd
michael kors outlet
nike air max thea
cheap nfl jerseys
true religion jeans
tiffany,tiffany and co,tiffany and co jewelry,tiffany necklace,tiffany bracelet,tiffany ring,tiffany earrings
gg

4:27 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

abercrombie
golden state warriors jerseys
ray ban glasses
coach outlet online
uggs uk
cheap nhl jerseys
louis vuitton
polo ralph lauren uk
hilfiger outlet
longchamp handbags
201612.21wengdongdong

1:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home