kurt's nightmare

Generally, I post once a week. Topics are randomly selected and depend mostly upon whether it's baseball season or not. Other topics will include sex, politics, old girlfriends, music, and whatever else pops into my little brain. If you'd like to read, or ignore, my blog about China: http://meidabizi.blogspot.com/

Name:
Location: Dayton, OH, Heard & McDonald Islands

I'm an Associate Professor of Philosophy at the University of Dayton. I represent no one but myself, and barely do that. I'm here mostly by accident.

Friday, August 29, 2008

I surrender

A short one, just to keep myself in the blogging game. I was going to write about what Clinton's supporters would have expected of Obama's, had she won the nomination. Would they be understanding and empathetic if some of Obama's backers (the complement of "PUMA," I suppose), said they were going to be voting for McCain?

Then I was thinking about the fact that everybody, Democrats and Republicans, both say that education is a really good thing. (I agree.) But it is an odd thing: the more educated a person is, the more likely he or she is to be a Democrat (and, specifically, to be an Obama supporter). So are Republicans who argue for a better-educated citizenry really suggesting that they want more and more people to reject them? Odd. Probably it needs to be the right kind of education.

In any case, I have chosen today to officially surrender and announce that the Cubs are the best team in the National League, and they deserve all their success. Congratulations.

This does not mean that they won't fold like a cheap suit in the NLDS or NLCS. However, they may well make it to the World Series. At which point, they will collapse, preferably in some excruciating, agonizing way, à la the Red Sox in '86. That will be enough for me to look forward to the postseason.

The other day someone e-mailed me to ask about the meaning of "Schadenfreude." I didn't realize, at the time, that in addition to the lexical meaning of the term, that there would be a lab.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shut up already!

9:35 PM  
Blogger Bazarov said...

Yes, it depends on the type of education. Of course liberal/commie schools are gonna pump out democrats. Sheesh.
I was hoping to see some take on the GOP VP pick. At first I was just happy it wasn't one of those people who weren't ashamed to admit on national tv that they doubted evolution, but then it turns out she's one of 'em! Iceland's sounding real nice, even if the sun goes away for weeks at a time.

1:45 PM  
Blogger kmosser said...

I may talk about Ms. Palin anon. All I can think is that McCain has insulted all his supporters, and especially those considering becoming one of his supporters.

But it also seems that this may be the case, as the Clash put it, of "Give 'em enough rope."

9:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I said "Shut up already" SID! Geez, save the drama for your momma!

10:08 PM  
Blogger Capt.Herp said...

Howdy -- come back by Outcast one of these days, willya? Just don't yell at people and you'll be good to go.

Herp

10:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Cubs merely making the World Series means the curse of the Billy Goat is broken. The curse states that the Cubs would never again win the pennant.

Seeing them win the series would be an additional thrill.

I once thought that all Chicago teams were cursed to never win a championship. Of course that was until Ditka and Jordan.

1:17 PM  
Blogger kmosser said...

Siannis took the curse off, in 1984. Fat lot of good that did.

No coke, no fries, no Zambrano.

9:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sarah Palin Sexcapades.
I cant wait for her boyfriends divorce papers to be released to the public.

http://thepalinreport.com/2008/09/05/sarah-palin-adultery-scandal-affair-with-brad-hanson/

Tell the "shut up already" guy to go to this web site and read this. Or judging from his monosyllabic sentence structure, have someone read it to him.

Apparently the holier than thou Sarah Palin was bonking her brains out with her husbands business partner.

McCain came to Lees Summit MO for a campaign stop, he had to go to an old folks home/assisted living John Knox Village to get some dumb ol geezers to thump canes on the floor in approval, well they had to wake them up first, then they thumped canes and chanted "win with Ike!!!"

10:39 PM  
Blogger Capt.Herp said...

Hey, anonymous:

Keep it up for a guaranteed McCain win. You guys are the best thing that ever happened to Republicans!

8:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The curse will be off when the Cubs win the pennant.

5:29 PM  
Blogger kmosser said...

Of course. That kind of follows by definition of a curse being applied.

Did I mention that that Cubs suck?

9:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home