kurt's nightmare

Generally, I post once a week. Topics are randomly selected and depend mostly upon whether it's baseball season or not. Other topics will include sex, politics, old girlfriends, music, and whatever else pops into my little brain. If you'd like to read, or ignore, my blog about China: http://meidabizi.blogspot.com/

Name:
Location: Dayton, OH, Heard & McDonald Islands

I'm an Associate Professor of Philosophy at the University of Dayton. I represent no one but myself, and barely do that. I'm here mostly by accident.

Thursday, September 28, 2006

Miscellany

I'm off for Texas for the weekend--a long drive just to get some decent barbecue, and frequently the barbecue is overrated in Texas. Fortunately, one of the exceptions to this is Angelo's in Fort Worth, and I've been told I get to go there.

I'll be back next week with some political considerations. Currently I'm wondering whether I should hold it against Republicans for treating me as if I'm stupid (I'm leaning in that direction), or hold it against Democrats for being feckless (I've leaned in that direction almost far enough to fall over). The other day I was listening to NPR ("Talk of the Nation," I believe, although I was trying to nap) and Kathleen Harris, the Republican Senatorial candidate was on. This is, of course, the woman who was Secretary of the state of Florida during the 2000 Presidential Election, has lots of dough and some most excellent hair, and has run one of the most embarrassing campaigns in recent memory. Jeb Bush and most other Florida Republicans have repeatedly stated that she doesn't have a chance and that she should get out of the race. She is admirably dogged in her determination (think Charlie Brown and football), but even her supporters can't think much to say in her favor. If the best thing you can say about a candidate starts (and ends) with his or her looks, that candidate is in trouble.

How much trouble? This is a candidate from the state of Florida looking for Republican votes. So she's on NPR? Some Republicans listen to NPR, of course, even in Florida. But my guess is that she already had those four votes in the bag.

W. should have rewarded her--as was said at the time--for her outstanding efforts to prevent a fair vote count (with more help from Gore than she needed) by appointing her Ambassador to Chad.

See you next week.